How We Manage Your Information
1. As a business which enables access to the Internet or related services, we understand the importance of the privacy of our customers when online and interacting with our services.
2. As a member of the Internet Service Providers’ Association of South Africa (ISPA) we have committed to respecting the Constitutional right of our customers to their personal privacy, which includes the privacy of communications.
What is personal information?
4. The Protection of Personal Information Act of 2013 defines “personal information” as all of the following: information relating to an identifiable, living, natural person, and where it is applicable, an identifiable, existing juristic person, including, but not limited to-
(a) information relating to the race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, national, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental health, well-being, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth of the person;
(b) information relating to the education or the medical, financial, criminal or employment history of the person;
(c) any identifying number, symbol, e-mail address, physical address, telephone number, location information, online identifier or other particular assignment to the person;
(d) the biometric information of the person; (e) the personal opinions, views or preferences of the person;
(f) correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence;
(g) the views or opinions of another individual about the person; and
(h) the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person;
5. We commit to protecting the confidentiality of our customers’ personal information in terms of applicable law.
6. Customer personal information in our possession will be used only for the purpose for which it was collected or in terms of the law under which it is required to be collected.
7. Customer personal information is collected for the purpose of allowing the provision of our services as well as compliance with the Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of Communication-related Information Act of 2002 (“RICA”).
8. We will only release customer personal information in the following circumstances:
(a) Where we have your written instruction to do so.
(b) Where we are required to do so under an order of a South African court.
(c) Where it is necessary to do so to comply with any applicable legislation or regulation and then in terms of such applicable legislation or regulation.
(d) For auditing, debt-collecting, credit checking or complaints-handling processes and then subject to restrictions on the use of the personal information by the relevant third party.
9. We do not monitor usage of our services other than in terms of applicable law.
10. Our website may utilise “cookies” which do track usage to facilitate the provision of an individually-tailored service.
11. Personal information provided to us as is required for use of the service is securely stored. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to review this information and amend it if necessary.
12. In order to ensure that we provide a secure service and protect you and ourselves from fraudulent and criminal acts, we reserve the right to monitor user and network traffic.
Collection of anonymous data
13. In order to provide the best possible and most relevant service, we may use available technology to collect information about the use of this site and our services. This technology is not intended to identify individual users but simply allows the collection of anonymised statistics.
(a) Cookies allow us to tailor advertising and other services to your displayed preferences. We may use third-party cookies from an adserver for this purpose.
(b) Cookies by themselves may not be used to personally identify users but will be used to compile anonymised statistics relating to use of services offered or to provide us with feedback on the performance of this web site.
15. If you do not wish cookies to be employed it is possible to alter the manner in which your browser handles cookies. Please note that, if this is done, certain services on this website may not be available.
16. Protecting your personal information when using our services is a shared responsibility. Please be aware that the Internet can be a dangerous and unfriendly place and be sure to safeguard your identity and other personal information at all times.
Amendments to this Policy